The artist is Joe Slucher
So, here’s the Friday status update. What? You’ve never seen this before? Go back and look! OH, wait, stop… It’s new. I guess I’ve never done one of these before.
Shattered is in sort of a limbo while I wait on a couple more readers. Once the feedback from them is in, I’ll be taking most of my weekends getting the second revision and edits done, which I expect will take a month. Then it’ll be publish time, and you can finally read it.
SotR has a deadline for the first draft of March 25th. I’m making good progress on it (if you followed my tweets @mark_fassett, you’d get daily updates), and I don’t foresee any huge problems making the date.
I hope to have an update to StoryBox this weekend, too. It won’t have any big major feature changes, but it should have some minor usability improvements. I’m still thinking about how I want to work covers and other e-book property info into the UI. I’ve got three places in mind as to where it could go, and I’m not completely happy with any of them. But, I have to get it figured out before Shattered get’s published.
It’s about time. Today, I finished the first revision of Shattered. It still needs at least one more pass, but I’m going to take a break from it through the weekend.
You may have noticed (if you were watching the progress bar) that the first third of the book took significantly longer to work through than the last two thirds combined. This is due, in part, to how the book was written in the first place.
I started the book as a NaNoWriMo project back in 2009, and wrote the first four and a half chapters. Then the book sat, for various reasons, until August of 2010, at which point, I blasted through the rest of the book in about 45 days.
Between those two dates, some of the details and motivations changed. The book didn’t go in quite the same direction I’d originally intended, and there were things in the last two thirds that really didn’t flow from the first third. The first chapter was pretty much awful and I rewrote it completely. Other parts of the first five also got large rewrites. The first third required a lot of work.
The last two thirds were much better and flowed together quite nicely. They didn’t need many structural changes.
On Monday, I’m going to start working through it, looking for all the little mistakes and stilted dialog and inconsistencies that I’m sure still exist. I hope to have that done by the end of the month.
It’s a neat story, I think, and I’m excited to show it off.