It’s about time. Today, I finished the first revision of Shattered. It still needs at least one more pass, but I’m going to take a break from it through the weekend.
You may have noticed (if you were watching the progress bar) that the first third of the book took significantly longer to work through than the last two thirds combined. This is due, in part, to how the book was written in the first place.
I started the book as a NaNoWriMo project back in 2009, and wrote the first four and a half chapters. Then the book sat, for various reasons, until August of 2010, at which point, I blasted through the rest of the book in about 45 days.
Between those two dates, some of the details and motivations changed. The book didn’t go in quite the same direction I’d originally intended, and there were things in the last two thirds that really didn’t flow from the first third. The first chapter was pretty much awful and I rewrote it completely. Other parts of the first five also got large rewrites. The first third required a lot of work.
The last two thirds were much better and flowed together quite nicely. They didn’t need many structural changes.
On Monday, I’m going to start working through it, looking for all the little mistakes and stilted dialog and inconsistencies that I’m sure still exist. I hope to have that done by the end of the month.
It’s a neat story, I think, and I’m excited to show it off.
One thought on “Finished first revision of Shattered”
Well done. I keep reading that writing takes fewer revisions with more experience. 🙂 I hope to get there one day myself.
Comments are closed.