I mostly don’t blog here about my software, anymore. It’s a separate business from my writing, and I prefer to keep the two as separate as possible. However, I wanted to mention a development, just because I thought some of you might be interested.
Today, I uploaded the open beta of StoryBox 2. You can download it and use it, and write awesome stories with it.
StoryBox 2 has a 45 day trial. The days are non-consecutive. If you open it up on one day, it counts as one. If you don’t open it up on a day, that day won’t count. You get 45 actual days to use it. If you open it and forget to open it again for six months, it won’t expire on you in that time.
This is a change. I know it’s a change. I know some people won’t like it, but it’s something I have to do.
The original StoryBox versions will still be available until StoryBox 2 is finished. Those of you who are using StoryBox for free right now can continue to do so until the end of time, but the only updates going forward will be to StoryBox 2.
Also, the price of StoryBox will be going up by $5 once StoryBox 2 is finalized. All existing registered users will be able to upgrade to StoryBox 2 for no cost. So if you want to save yourself $5, register before StoryBox 2 is finalized. I don’t know the exact date, but there’s a list of things to do on the beta page, and when that list is empty, StoryBox 2 will be done.
I hope you try out StoryBox 2, if you are at all inclined toward writing, or if you’ve been using StoryBox 1.x, and I’d like to hear what you think.
A list of some of the major changes:
- Menu moved to bottom center of the screen
- You can now open most tool windows while in full screen mode.
- Themes use larger fonts and have been updated in many instances.
- Combined all of the wordcount bars into a single tool window called Progress
- Reworked the Export window. You can now save export profiles and toggle which files are included directly from the Export screen.
- Individual story properties are now in the Document Properties window when you select the Story document
- Added an Export To HTML option on the right click menu for the outline view
- Many changes to ePub export to fix lingering issues on several devices. It also now passes epubcheck validation.